Monday, February 28, 2011

Let me paint you a picture.

Three years ago when we were shopping for a minivan there were a number of things on my mind: mileage, age, color, etc. A DVD player was not on my list. I felt like it was really "good" for kids to have to battle it out over miles and miles of road-trips, grocery-trips, sports-trips and every-other-kind-of-trip you can imagine. So when we found our minivan and it had a built-in DVD player I figured it would be an occasional treat for the kids. Fast-forward three years and it has become the center of any and all time spent in the van. Not a huge fan of letting my kids watch hours of tv at a time - and with the time we spend in the van escalating I decided to exert some self-control and limit the DVD watching to longer-than-20-minute-trips.

Let me paint you a picture of our "drive" home from the gym this afternoon.

Naomi: mooOOOMMM! my throat hurts.
Mom: I'm sorry, I'll get you something to drink as soon as we get home.
Naomi: but my throat reALLLYYY huRRts! aaaGGGGHHHhhh....uggHHH (insert some sort of guttural sound) MMMOOOOMMMMMMM MY THROAT HURTS!!!
Mom: You know what is NOT helping your throat? Screaming. (Glancing into the backseat to see the boys battling it out in some sort of boyish cat-fight)
Naomi: What?!! Screaming? What doooOO YOU MEAN? THE SUN IS IN MY EYES! ARRRRR - MY THROAT! MY THROAT! MY THROAT!
Mom: Naomi! The sun is not hurting your throat!
Naomi: Well. It's not helping!
Mom: (Taking deep Lamaze-type breaths. Didn't need it in labor but use it all the time now.)
Calvin: IGHTING-IGHTING-IGHTING!!!
Mom: Talmage! What is wrong with Calvin??
Talmage: He's mad that we're not fighting anymore.
Naomi: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Talmage: (Having figured out what I have know all along) Mom please turn the movie on! It's the only way to get some quiet!
Mom: (Pondering the wisdom of my 6-year-old) Okay.
........
Naomi: I guess my throat doesn't hurt.

A DVD player is now #1 on my list. I will go without leather, automatic locks/windows, air-conditioning, and maybe even heat but you will not find me in a minivan without a DVD player.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Okay, that was hilarious!

Julie said...

Nothing like a good movie to divert the troops.

Whitney said...

The first day of de-tox is always the worst. What will you do if it dies and costs more to fix than the van???

Maria said...

That was hilarious! And reminded me so much of some of my "discussions" with Enrique... except instead of having a DVD in our car it is a fight for TV at home. "Mom, what can I do that is fun?" Well, how about playing with your toys? I don't want to play with my toys! I'M BORED! CAN I WATCH A LITTLE BIT OF TV??
I feel your pain!

MomaLaw said...

That shoud be uactioned off to the car dealerships for top dollar to use in their advertising! Very Very Funny!!! We miss you guys and I have loved catching up on your blog.