Thursday, September 2, 2010

Funny things...

Tal is growing. Everyday I see it as he struggles between the little boy he was and the bigger boy he's becoming. In the crosshairs of this growth come some pretty funny moments...here are a few...

Last Saturday Andy took Naomi on a little date. While they were gone...
Mom: Tal, should I mow the lawn?
Tal: Mom, sometimes you need a day off...I'll watch all the kids for you
Mom: Yes!

While we were watching Where the Red Fern Grows...
Tal: (With tears in his eyes and a little crumpled chin) Mom, sometimes when I see things that are sad it makes me sad.

After I sucessfully unclogged the toilet:
Tal: Mom, you are the best toilet-fixer in the world...well other than those other guys who fix toilets.

The other day Tal got in trouble for something. His punishment was to put his bike ramp away - he wailed the entire time. A couple of days later:
Tal: Mom, the other day when I was crying you didn't give me a hug and tell me it was okay.
Mom: (Big oops moment)

And my favorite. A couple weeks ago the kids were fighting I got mad at Tal - thinking he was the instigator - only to find out he hadn't done anything wrong. As I was wallowing in my shame...
Mom: Tal, do you think I'm a good mom?
Tal: Of course (said in a tone like, duh)
The funny thing is - he was so convincing it actually did make me feel better!

I love this - I don't need positive self-affirmation when Tal's around. On Sunday Andy was harrasing me about something...
Mom: I know what I need. Tal, Do you think I'm a great mom?
Tal: Yes! Like the best in the whole world
Mom: (Smirking in Dad's general direction)
Dad: ...

1 comment:

Julia said...

AHH Ha ha ha!!! That made my Day! Tal is so awesome! I can totally see his "duh" expression telling you you are "the best in like the whole world!"